Monday, July 25, 2011

Felt Rapunzel Tiara Tutorial





I made a Rapunzel Tiara for my little one for her 3rd Birthday.

First I downloaded a template of Rapunzel's crown from Disney and Family Fun magaizine





I traced the outer pattern on gray felt and the inner on a sheet of sparkly white felt and cut them out. I cut out two pieces of the large outer piece in gray, so that we could put the band between the two layers.

I pinned the pieces together.

And using white thread I stitched the teardrop shapes together white on gray.



Next I cut a 9 inch piece of 1/2 inch elastic and a piece of gray material that is 18 x 1 3/4 inches.

I pinned right sides together.

I sewed right sides together, leaving both ends open, and turned right side out.

To turn right side out I used a safety pin. I clipped the pin on one end and then pushed it through.


I then clipped the safety pin on the end of the elastic and pulled it through, when you get to the end be careful to not pull the elastic all the way through. I clipped the end of the elastic with the end of the fabric with another pin, while I continued to pull the elastic through. When your elastic reaches the other end, pin that end as well to hold it all in place. Scoot the fabric so that it bunches how you would like.



Then sew the ends of the elastic and fabric together so they are secure and ready to be attached to the ornamental part of the crown.

You will have three layers, the sparkly white and then two grays that are the exact same.

Slide the elastic band about 3/4 of inch between the two gray pieces on the ends and pin in place. Then sew around the edges on the white felt, sewing all 3 pieces together and catching the band. I went over the short sides 3 times to make sure the band was good and secure.


Then hot glue the tear drop shapes onto the crown, large in the middle and two smaller ones on the side.



I then added some gems to the bottom and top. I found these gems at Joanns in the beading section by the hair accessories, they are flat on the back and can be attached with hot glue.


And here is the finished product!



I LOVE IT and think it looks adorable with my daughters Rapunzel dress up outfit.

Linking up to these parties:

Made by you Monday

Show me what ya got

Whatever Goes Wednesday

Check ME Out Saturday
Posted by Picasa

No comments: